Ducati 1199 Motorcycle Forum Ducati 1199 Panigale Forum

Go Back   Ducati 1199 Forum > Ducati 1199 Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Long Island, NY

Posts: 790
Thanks: 118

I Ride: '13 Panigale R '12 1199S/ABS, '12 Multistrada S, '09 1098R Bayliss LE, 1998 custom rigid chopper
Gerbings electric jacket liner and Panigale

Will it draw too much from the bike's system?

Someone stated possible stator problems?

Running with stock battery.

Plugged it into the charging pigtail on all of my bikes without issue.

Am I causing a slow problem without knowing it?

Thanks for any ideas and recommendations.
RSR racer is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR racer View Post
Will it draw too much from the bike's system?

Someone stated possible stator problems?

Running with stock battery.

Plugged it into the charging pigtail on all of my bikes without issue.

Am I causing a slow problem without knowing it?

Thanks for any ideas and recommendations.
I have been using one paired with a set of G3 gloves for a couple of weeks and no problems yet (but 300 miles isn't really a good test). I have the same setup on my SF and have almost 23k miles on that bike and am still on the original battery with no problems yet.
Capt CF is offline  
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Member
 
Vicious's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Newtown, PA

Posts: 99
Thanks: 3

I Ride: Ducati 1199
Same, i have jacket liner, pants and gloves on one no prob. just lots a heat
Vicious is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
vik
Senior Member
 
vik's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: new york

Posts: 154
Thanks: 17

I Ride: Panigale 1199 Base ABS
I've been using it for over a month, and no issues here
vik is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Washington, DC

Posts: 2,204
Thanks: 644

I Ride: Tricolore With A "Few" Mods
Thumbs up Another Option

Bought this when I purchased my 1198 Corse and have used it often with much success. What I love about it most is that it feels just like wearing a fleece windbreaker, cables slip right back into pockets (glove connections have their own tiny pockets at end of sleeve) but most of all it has a temp control knob to adjust the heat! I will say there have been times when I had to turn it down it became so hot too!

Great piece of gear that can be found much less. Connected it right to the battery and velcro holds the temp knob on the left side so I can access it on the fly. I just have the jacket but its set up with connections for gloves and many other items too. Just an alternative gents.

Firstgear 90 Watt Heated Jacket Liner - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: LONDON

Posts: 20
Thanks: 0

yes i have Gerbing Heated Gloves XR12 WP | Gerbing Heated Clothing | GetGeared.co.uk
PAVEL is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 4,460
Thanks: 1529

I Ride: 1199s & some Carbon :)
So it appears using the liner is a non-issue... would adding the gloves be a step too far???
Stw is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
So it appears using the liner is a non-issue... would adding the gloves be a step too far???
I use the jacket liner and the Gerbing's gloves (G3s sometimes and sometimes the heated glove liners) and have never had a problem with any of my Ducatis including the Pani. I don't know what the other folks do, but one thing I make sure to do is ALWAYS turn off the jacket and gloves before I shut the bike off and always start the bike before activing the heat controller. It may not be necessary, but I have always made sure to never run the gear just off the electrical system without the bike running.
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
On another note, have you Gerbing's users had a lot of failures with their gear? I have had a lot of problems with mine and wanted to see if this is somehow just me or everybody else as well. In the last 3- 4 years I have had the following fail:

1 heat controller (replaced under warranty)
1 jacket liner (repaired under warranty)
2 glove failures (one repaired under warranty, one waiting on a call back now since it just happened yesterday)

My coworker also uses Gerbing's and has had at least 2 failures that I know about (both jacket liner if I remember correctly).

Anybody switching to something else?
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
VA Panigale's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Woodbridge, VA

Posts: 146
Thanks: 8

I Ride: 1199 Panigale Base with ABS
A little off topic:

The FirstGear jacket looks like it works great according to the reviews. So with the ability to stay warm, how cold would you ride your Panigale due to the fact when the roads get to cold they can be more dangerous to ride?
VA Panigale is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Panigale View Post
A little off topic:

The FirstGear jacket looks like it works great according to the reviews. So with the ability to stay warm, how cold would you ride your Panigale due to the fact when the roads get to cold they can be more dangerous to ride?
I am probably not the best person to ask since I'll run it a bit on the edge since my commute time reduction and cost savings are substantial when I ride vs. driving or taking public transit. I ride year round so I don't stop based on temperature. My vehicle of choice for the past 3 years has been a 2010 SF with no ABS or traction control and I have ridden that in the snow a few times (not on purpose - flurries started while I was at work). Kind of off topic, but you should see the looks you get on I-66 when you fly by with termis roaring and snow falling. It's probably a false sense of confidence, but I feel even better on the Pani due to the ABS, DTC and possible use of the rain mode than I did on the good old SF. I am liking the ice warning though - kinda cool to see that pop up every morning.
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
I am probably not the best person to ask since I'll run it a bit on the edge since my commute time reduction and cost savings are substantial when I ride vs. driving or taking public transit. I ride year round so I don't stop based on temperature. My vehicle of choice for the past 3 years has been a 2010 SF with no ABS or traction control and I have ridden that in the snow a few times (not on purpose - flurries started while I was at work). Kind of off topic, but you should see the looks you get on I-66 when you fly by with termis roaring and snow falling. It's probably a false sense of confidence, but I feel even better on the Pani due to the ABS, DTC and possible use of the rain mode than I did on the good old SF. I am liking the ice warning though - kinda cool to see that pop up every morning.
I thought about this some more on the ride home since I needed something to do to take my mind off my freezing right hand since my Gerbing's **** the bed again. This is a horrible hijack and might make a good separate thread, but I bet we all have a system to decide whether or not to ride and it might be worthwhile or at least interesting to share them. My system (for commuting anyway - pleasure rides are another animal) is basically as follows:

If the forecast (checked with two weather apps and a weather station thing at home) is for 50% rain or less and it is NOT raining in the morning when I leave I will ride to work. Anything higher than 50% and/or rain coming down in the morning and I drive or take public transportation. On the cold side, I will generally ride no matter what the temp except if there has recently been ice/snow that may still be on the road in places or may have melted and refrozen or I have seen a ton of salt down, etc. If I have to hit an unplowed street where there may be just a tire track or two that aren't snow/ice I won't ride either. I am more careful with snow storm forecasts so I throw the 50% rule out and basically don't ride if there is snow/ice in the forecast. That being said, I have been caught a couple times by snow that comes during the day that wasn't in the forecast. It goes without saying that I get caught in the rain from time to time, but IMHO, unless you aren't doing any riding that is bound to happen. I just try to make sure that when it does it happens on my way home since I am usually soaked from the waist down (damn fender eliminators).
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
VA Panigale's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Woodbridge, VA

Posts: 146
Thanks: 8

I Ride: 1199 Panigale Base with ABS
Capt CF
Great write up, thanks. Maybe this would be a good new thread to start up. We are going to have to ride sometime as we are in the same area. It's supposed to be pretty nice next week and I plan to get a couple days of riding in. It's been a week and I miss it too much already. What can I say, I love my Ducati!
VA Panigale is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Panigale View Post
Capt CF
Great write up, thanks. Maybe this would be a good new thread to start up. We are going to have to ride sometime as we are in the same area. It's supposed to be pretty nice next week and I plan to get a couple days of riding in. It's been a week and I miss it too much already. What can I say, I love my Ducati!
I'm game. My only local riding buddy doesn't ride much so whenever you want to set something up works for me. Hopefully we can find a quasi warm day.
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Long Island, NY

Posts: 790
Thanks: 118

I Ride: '13 Panigale R '12 1199S/ABS, '12 Multistrada S, '09 1098R Bayliss LE, 1998 custom rigid chopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
I thought about this some more on the ride home since I needed something to do to take my mind off my freezing right hand since my Gerbing's **** the bed again. This is a horrible hijack and might make a good separate thread, but I bet we all have a system to decide whether or not to ride and it might be worthwhile or at least interesting to share them. My system (for commuting anyway - pleasure rides are another animal) is basically as follows:

If the forecast (checked with two weather apps and a weather station thing at home) is for 50% rain or less and it is NOT raining in the morning when I leave I will ride to work. Anything higher than 50% and/or rain coming down in the morning and I drive or take public transportation. On the cold side, I will generally ride no matter what the temp except if there has recently been ice/snow that may still be on the road in places or may have melted and refrozen or I have seen a ton of salt down, etc. If I have to hit an unplowed street where there may be just a tire track or two that aren't snow/ice I won't ride either. I am more careful with snow storm forecasts so I throw the 50% rule out and basically don't ride if there is snow/ice in the forecast. That being said, I have been caught a couple times by snow that comes during the day that wasn't in the forecast. It goes without saying that I get caught in the rain from time to time, but IMHO, unless you aren't doing any riding that is bound to happen. I just try to make sure that when it does it happens on my way home since I am usually soaked from the waist down (damn fender eliminators).
I use a similar system and parameters with poor weather. I like NOAA.GOV for my weather as I use it on my boat as well. Usually pretty accurate.
Not going to subject the Duc's to the salt at all wrt the magnesium and its horrible corrosive reaction with NaCl. I didn't care at all with my R1 and salt residues, thus; once the heavy salting starts around here, the Duc's are in for the duration. (did you see what salt water immersion did to that poor dude's bike after hurricane Sandy?)
RSR racer is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR racer View Post
I use a similar system and parameters with poor weather. I like NOAA.GOV for my weather as I use it on my boat as well. Usually pretty accurate.
Not going to subject the Duc's to the salt at all wrt the magnesium and its horrible corrosive reaction with NaCl. I didn't care at all with my R1 and salt residues, thus; once the heavy salting starts around here, the Duc's are in for the duration. (did you see what salt water immersion did to that poor dude's bike after hurricane Sandy?)
I definitely saw that guy's bike after Sandy. Amazing how it ate everything away. Down here in the South (DC..lol) they don't deal with snow nearly as well as you guys up in the city do. I'd say they salt the roads that I regularly use probably 2-3 times a year unless we get a lot of storms so I don't see near the salt that you do I bet.

Slightly back on topic thought for the day - I hooked up the Y cable that comes with the Gerbing's gloves last night and rode in on that today instead of the jacket liner and the gloves were really hot. Definitely a jacket liner right sleeve issue (again) so that leaves my Gerbing's failure count at:

1 heat controller (replaced under warranty)
2 jacket liner (repaired under warranty once - waiting on a call back currently)
1 glove failures (repaired under warranty)

Since my core doesn't really get cold (I usually have a t-shirt and a long sleeved shirt on and then the Gerbing's liner under a Revit Cayenne with the hydratex layer zipped in for cold weather) I am going to stick with the Y cable for the rest of the winter and RMA the jacket liner in the spring when it warms up enough that I don't need the heated gear. I may look into replacing the whole system with the Powerlet stuff or something else before next winter.

http://motowheels.com/i-10783444-pow...ontroller.html
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
E350's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Frenchtown, nj

Posts: 142
Thanks: 19

I Ride: Standard Panigale
i use the G3 gerbings heated gloves, the powerlet liner and a controller by firstgear i believe. i went with the powerlet liner because it uses microwave technology and doesnt have to be in close contact with skin for you to actually get heat from it. Also, the powerlet liner folds up very compactly. very happy with it.
E350 is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
i use the G3 gerbings heated gloves, the powerlet liner and a controller by firstgear i believe. i went with the powerlet liner because it uses microwave technology and doesnt have to be in close contact with skin for you to actually get heat from it. Also, the powerlet liner folds up very compactly. very happy with it.
I had no idea the connectors were all the same and the gear was interchangeable (never bothered to even check). That's very cool. I should be able to keep the same pigtail on the bikes and just get a powerlet liner and keep my G3 gloves.

Thanks - this helps a lot!
Capt CF is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Bay Area, San Fran

Posts: 283
Thanks: 6

My issue is I can't even get any Gerbring gear (unless its XXS or XXL) here in NorCal. All local shops are out and the likes of Revzilla are out. I liked the idea of the 7 heated panels with one in the collar. Left it to late I guess?
Gulf Coast is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 1,941
Thanks: 598

I Ride: 1199S ABS, BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast View Post
My issue is I can't even get any Gerbring gear (unless its XXS or XXL) here in NorCal. All local shops are out and the likes of Revzilla are out. I liked the idea of the 7 heated panels with one in the collar. Left it to late I guess?
I'm surprised you can't find it online somewhere, but I guess people are snatching it up left and right. Gerbings must be slammed too because when I called them to get an RMA number for my jacket liner I got a voicemail box asking me to leave my name, phone number and email address instead of the usual customer service person. It has been a day or two and they haven't called back so I am guessing they are overloaded as well.

The one good thing about them is they do stand behind the product and have fixed every issue I have had under warranty. They also make a lot of sizes in the jackets so you can find something that fits well. I went to a local BMW dealer that carries it so I could try out the sizes since you want it to fit pretty well so you can maximize the heating properties. They make long sizes as well which works great if you are tall and thin and don't want a baggy liner. I can't get the glove liners to fit well under anything without destroying dexterity so I went to the Gerbing's gloves (I have the G3s) and those work much better than layering the liners under a shell (I have a BMW goretex leather glove for a shell). I might go a size down when these wear out or may switch to the slightly more expensive G5s or whatever they are (the textile version - mine are the leather ones). The heated collar works well too. I wear a Mountain Hardwear balaclava (windstopper) on my head under my helmet and put it on before the Gerbing's jacket liner so it tucks inside the collar. Then I zip up the collar all the way and crank on the heat. With the Pani you don't need heated pants and I just wear think mountaineering socks under my boots and my feet are fine. To be honest, with this setup I don't get cold at all. I can ride in temps down in the 20s for an hour or two if I want and don't have any issues other than the fact that I feel like the little brother in A Christmas Story ("I can't put my arms down").

Last edited by Capt CF; January 4th, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
Capt CF is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1199 Forum > Ducati 1199 Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
electric, gerbings, jacket, liner, panigale


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ducati 1199 Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Dainese Wave Pro Jacket Whut24 Classifieds 1 July 29th, 2013 11:52 AM
electric problem horn and signals not working supersicsquid Ducati 1199 5 August 29th, 2012 07:31 AM
new helmet and jacket 11NTY9 Ducati 1199 29 May 19th, 2012 01:56 PM
Riding Jacket?? SoonerNation Ducati 1199 17 May 7th, 2012 12:56 PM
2013 Ducati 1199R Panigale Will Have Electric Power MADMAN Ducati 1199 10 April 17th, 2012 06:07 AM

Google+
Facebook Twitter RSS Feed


Ducati 1199 and Ducati 899 Panigale Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2011-2014 DUCATI1199.COM • All rights reserved.