Ducati 1199 Motorcycle Forum Ducati 1199 Panigale Forum

Go Back   Ducati 1199 Forum > Ducati 1199 Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Motorcycle Talk For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models


Thanks Tree5Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
bronch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 261

I Ride: '13 MTS PP
Rear tire leak... to ride or not to ride.

My rear tire has a "slowish" leak. At first I thought the dealer just didn't inflate correctly, so set it at 28psi. Seemed ok for awhile as I check before I ride each time. But, I went away for a week and got back yesterday and checked and it was 10psi. Filled it to 30psi last night and this morning it was 29.5psi.

I don't feel comfortable removing the rear wheel or more importantly putting it back on without some adult supervision my first time. I inspected the surface and can't find a nail or anything that punctured it. No obvious leak from the stem. My question is, how unsafe is it to ride to the dealer about 40 miles away?
bronch is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Wallasey UK

Posts: 306
Thanks: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
My rear tire has a "slowish" leak. At first I thought the dealer just didn't inflate correctly, so set it at 28psi. Seemed ok for awhile as I check before I ride each time. But, I went away for a week and got back yesterday and checked and it was 10psi. Filled it to 30psi last night and this morning it was 29.5psi.

I don't feel comfortable removing the rear wheel or more importantly putting it back on without some adult supervision my first time. I inspected the surface and can't find a nail or anything that punctured it. No obvious leak from the stem. My question is, how unsafe is it to ride to the dealer about 40 miles away?
half a PSI is negligible. It would be showing a more noticeable difference if it was leaking. Keep your eye on it. Maybe a mistake was made on your old readings or different guage was used. I"d not be concerned with riding it,just stick to the speed limit if you wanna go to dealer. You"ll know soon enough if its going down while riding by bikes behaviour.
Thanks from bronch

Last edited by supduc10; January 26th, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
supduc10 is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bronch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 261

I Ride: '13 MTS PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by supduc10 View Post
half a PSI is negligible. It would be showing a more noticeable difference if it was leaking. Keep your eye on it. Maybe a mistake was made on your old readings or different guage was used. I"d not be concerned with riding it,just stick to the speed limit if you wanna go to dealer. You"ll know soon enough if its going down while riding by bikes behaviour.
Thanks that is what I was hoping. Agree, actually the 0.5psi overnight is reassuring. The 18psi loss in a week is what has me concerned.
bronch is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
AKKutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: LaGrange, KY

Posts: 133
Thanks: 24

I Ride: 1040RS, 1199R
check your valve stem, see if it is leaking there. Place some spit on the top with cap removed and see if you start blowing bubbles. It may need to be tightened.
Thanks from bronch
AKKutz is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Moderator
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ga

Posts: 2,358
Thanks: 365

also, be very careful on tightening the valve stem cores, the stems are alum and the core threads will strip VERY easily if you tighten the core too much (now I keep several spares on hand) Unless you actually have air leaking out the stem, I'd not mess with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKKutz View Post
check your valve stem, see if it is leaking there. Place some spit on the top with cap removed and see if you start blowing bubbles. It may need to be tightened.
Thanks from bronch
zvez is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Wallasey UK

Posts: 306
Thanks: 10

so if you do the maths and its leaking you should see 10psi again in about 40 days time. All being well with the guages used and no mistakes made you must have a leak,a very slow one. My tyre pressures drop about 5-6psi over the winter lay up.Ya know thats like about 5 months approx.
supduc10 is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
CaliDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 403

I Ride: Ducati 1199 S Tricolore, Ducati 1098 S Tricolore, Ducati 998 S Bayliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
My rear tire has a "slowish" leak. At first I thought the dealer just didn't inflate correctly, so set it at 28psi. Seemed ok for awhile as I check before I ride each time. But, I went away for a week and got back yesterday and checked and it was 10psi. Filled it to 30psi last night and this morning it was 29.5psi.

I don't feel comfortable removing the rear wheel or more importantly putting it back on without some adult supervision my first time. I inspected the surface and can't find a nail or anything that punctured it. No obvious leak from the stem. My question is, how unsafe is it to ride to the dealer about 40 miles away?

You may want to take the bike to the dealer. First off, and not to state the obvious check your entire tire. At your current PSI, you could if you choose drive 20 miles, stop check it and drive the remaining 20 miles to your dealer. It may be a value leak or it might be a micro fracture/puncture.

BTW - I really like your bike man.

EDIT: Alternatively, you may want to explore having Ducati provide roadside assist, etc.
Thanks from bronch
CaliDuc is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bronch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 261

I Ride: '13 MTS PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by supduc10 View Post
so if you do the maths and its leaking you should see 10psi again in about 40 days time
Smart ass

That's what's baffling me.... 18 psi in 7 days, but only 0.5 psi overnight. I guess it's a logarithmic leak! Or it's my dog Max screwing with me.
bronch is offline  
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bronch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 261

I Ride: '13 MTS PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDuc View Post
You may want to take the bike to the dealer. First off, and not to state the obvious check your entire tire. At your current PSI, you could if you choose drive 20 miles, stop check it and drive the remaining 20 miles to your dealer. It may be a value leak or it might be a micro fracture/puncture.

BTW - I really like your bike man.

EDIT: Alternatively, you may want to explore having Ducati provide roadside assist, etc.
Thanks Cali. I did check the whole tire and to my eye, couldn't see anything. I'll take it back to the dealer as soon as I can. Good idea to stop half way.

What is a value leak?
bronch is offline  
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
gman74's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Orange Park, FL

Posts: 578
Thanks: 113

I Ride: 1199 S Panigale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
What is a value leak?
He meant valve. The stem sometimes can back out of core, or more likely wasn't seated properly. And if there is an o'ring on the dust cap (I don't remember if the 1199 has one), it can shift and apply pressure to the stem and leak by as well.
Thanks from bronch
gman74 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati 1199 Forum > Ducati 1199 Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Tags
leak, rear, ride, tire


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ducati 1199 Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wow! That's one big rear tire on the 1199! duc Ducati 1199 6 July 24th, 2013 01:14 AM
Nooo!! Nail in the rear tire zvez Ducati 1199 12 October 25th, 2012 08:46 PM
Substituting a 190 for the 200 rear tire Styler Ducati 1199 24 June 18th, 2012 04:21 AM
First Ride: Ducati 1199 Panigale S Full Review and Ride Report duc Ride Reports 23 February 14th, 2012 03:39 PM

Google+
Facebook Twitter RSS Feed


Ducati 1199 and Ducati 899 Panigale Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2011-2014 DUCATI1199.COM • All rights reserved.